Friday, October 2, 2009

I hope you miss me...

I just spent the entire morning chatting on facebook. I could have done homework, or gone for a run, or clean my apartment, but instead, i sat in front of my computer anxiously waiting for my crush to reply.

Then, a creepy feeling hit me. I might have conversations with this person, but between facebook and text messages, I have no idea what his voice sounds like or if he could even construct a sentence longer than 140 characters.

And this wasn't just my crush. Friends I once spent hours talking to on the phone were suddenly wishing me happy birthday through a message on my wall.

It wasn't until my own mother started chatting about her day that I decided something must be done. And this is how my little experiment came to place.

For the whole month I am disabling my facebook profile and all forms of social interaction that require, well, minimum interaction. This means that I will not sign on to IM, twitter or gmail chat.

There are a few things I want to test. First of all, I want to improve the way I communicate with people. A lot is left to the imagination when body language and tone of voice is missing from the conversation, so perhaps this experiment will avoid a few misunderstandings.

Then, of course, is the problem I'm going to refer to as the tree in the forest. Just as no one knows if the tree makes a sound if no one is around I wonder, do I exist in the social world if I don't have a facebook profile?

Guess we are about to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment