Saturday, October 3, 2009

Text a little, why don't you?

Maybe getting rid of all text messages is a little too much. Texting is a great invention. It makes it easy to get in touch with people when they are in a place where they can't take a call and, when you have unlimited texts in your cell phone plan(as I do), it is cheaper that the actual phone call.

What really bothers me about texting is that people, myself included, use it as a means to have conversations that would be better done on the phone.

"I'm outside," said one text I recently received from my friend who was picking me up. By this time, my phone is usually at the bottom of my purse and I'm sitting in front of the couch, watching TV, waiting for the doorbell or at least the phone, to ring. And she gets mad because I made her wait.

So taking this into consideration, I decided that for my experiment I am only going to answer texts that require a simple "yes, no, maybe" reply. No picture or video texts can be seen, and when I do get a text, if it requires me to scroll down to read the entire thing, then I can't reply to it.

On a brighter note, I did get a few phone calls last night from friends that wanted to make plans fom the night and knew I wasn't allowed to text. Extra points to those that knew I couldn't text and called me anyway even though they are addicted to their Blackberries. Is this a sign of friendship? I think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment