Saturday, October 3, 2009

Signs of withdrawl...

We are creatures of habit. When my little brother broke my car's radio a few years ago, it took me a while to get used to. I'm not exactly a music person and I didn't want to spend $200 to fix it right away, so I did the only thing I could do: drive in silence.

The funny thing is that every few minutes you would find me reaching for the power button to turn the radio on, only to discover that nothing would happen. I'd laugh at myself for forgetting, get my hand back on the wheel and keep on driving. Yet less that a minute later the same thing would happen: I'd inadvertently reach for the on button trying to get rid of the silence.

The same thing is happening now that my facebook page is disabled. I get up, turn my computer like I always used to, go to the kitchen to get a cup of coffee while it uploads and sit back to my desk, only to remember that I can't go on facebook.

Let's face it: last night was Friday. I wasn't going to start that paper on sex tourism that's due on Tuesday, so there really was no point on having my computer on, teasing me to check any of the many social media websites that are saved in my history. So I do the smart thing: I turn the computer on and go to the living room and catch up on Grey's Anatomy.

Guess what I do less than an hour later? Yep. Get off the couch, go to my room and without thinking about it, I turn my computer back on. Only to realize once it's set that I have no use for it.

Anything like this happened to you? And if so, how long did it take you to get out of the routine?

No comments:

Post a Comment